Michelle Gielan Headshot
Report a problem with this profile
[email protected]

Michelle Gielan            

National CBS News Anchor Turned Positive Psychology Researcher; Bestselling Author of "Broadcasting Happiness"

Michelle Gielan has spent the past decade researching the link between happiness and success. She is the bestselling author of Broadcasting Happiness: The Science of Igniting and Sustaining Positive Change and was named one of the Top 10 authors on resilience by the Harvard Business Review.

Gielan is an Executive Producer of “The Happiness Advantage” on PBS and a featured professor in Oprah’s Happiness course. She formerly served as anchor of The CBS Morning News, and her research has received attention from dozens of media outlets including The Washington Post, FORBES, and The New York Times.

Gielan holds an advanced degree in positive psychology from the University of Pennsylvania and a B.S. from Tufts University in Computer Engineering.

Speech Topics

Broadcasting Happiness: Creating Success through Positive Engagement

Effective, positive communication is the single biggest driver of success at work. New research in the fields of neuroscience and positive psychology is showing the incredible ripple effect positive communication can have on employee engagement, productivity, and happiness. After spending years as a national CBS News anchor broadcasting to millions and receiving an advanced degree from the University of Pennsylvania in Positive Psychology, Michelle developed simple, yet proven techniques for positive communication that drive individual and team success for quantifiable results. She trains professionals on ways to inoculate their brain against stress and negativity, praise effectively, get others to adopt a more resilient mindset and shift the culture at work to create a talent-enhancing environment.

Communicating Greatness: The Science of Positive Authentic Female Leadership

In our corporate culture, it can sometimes be difficult to be both female and positive without fear of being perceived as “pollyannish” or out of touch with reality. In this talk, Michelle shatters the misconceptions about positive leadership using science to show how to not only avoid prejudice, but to also change the mindsets of those around you to drive success. Michelle describes funny and poignant stories she experienced while one of the top female media professionals, as well as from her work with influential female executives at companies including Google, Microsoft and Bank of America. In this talk, Michelle reveals how to cultivate rational optimism, change the social script using verbal and nonverbal cues, guide the negative towards the positive, and be perceived as strong, deep and optimistic female leader.

The Optimism Quotient: Strengthening a Mindset that Fuels Happiness and Success

An engaged, optimistic mindset is a massive advantage in the modern economy and one of the single biggest drivers of success. New research in the fields of neuroscience and positive psychology is showing the incredible ripple effect rational optimism can have on performance, profitability and happiness at work. Nationally recognized researcher and best-selling author Michelle Gielan will empower you with practical, research-based positive communication strategies to increase happiness and fuel success. Learn the science behind how to train the brain for greater optimism to reap the benefits: 31% increase in productive energy, 37% higher sales, 40% higher likelihood of a promotion, and a 23% decrease in stress. Weaving together poignant stories, interactive experiments and her own novel research, Michelle presents a compelling, engaging science-based case showing that being positive and sharing that optimistic mindset with others is central to success. During her session, you will learn how authentic, rational optimism significantly increases performance and business success, a proven tool to inoculate your brain against stress and negativity, practical, researched 2-minute habits proven to retrain your brain to be more resilient in minutes, and how interconnected teams can create cultures of high performance and sustainable resilience.

Resilient to the Core: How to Improve Your Default Response to Stress to Boost Performance & Happiness

Stress has become one of the biggest barriers to high performance on and off the field, yet new research shows 91% of us could improve our default response to stress using simple positive habits. In one of the largest studies on stress of its kind, researcher and bestselling author Michelle Gielan has identified the three major dimensions of your stress response that predict your well-being and performance, and how to quickly shift from stuck to empowered. She shares the new research coming out of positive psychology and strategies for achieving 31% greater energy and 23% fewer stress-related symptoms. Attendees will learn how to identify the three major responses to stress that waste energy and leave us stuck, inoculate their brains against common stresses and negative people, use unavoidable stress to their advantage to boost performance, develop three habits to retrain their brains to be more resilient and optimistic in minutes, and cultivate interconnected teams to create cultures of high performance, optimism and sustainable resilience.


Downsize New Years Resolutions for 2021 - The New York Times
Michelle Gielan, author of the book “Broadcasting Happiness: The Science of Igniting and Sustaining Positive Change,” said that she bought an elliptical ...
New Research Shows That Just the Act of Planning a Trip Can ...
... mounting uncertainty and stress,” said Michelle Gielan, founder of the Institute for Applied Positive Research, in a press release. Given Gielan's recent findings  ...
How optimism helps you deal with stress
Positive psychology researcher Michelle Gielan has studied optimism and success for more than a decade, and she has found that those with an optimistic  ...

Related Speakers View all

More like Michelle